Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Lawrence King



I didn't know
and now, I guess it's a tad bit hard to ignore how horrible homophobia can get.

I remember once, on Ner's profile, she had written:
I hate homophobes because obviously, they hate me.

I don't think it's as bad for girls as it is for guys though, I have to admit.
For some reason, it just seems a whole fuckload harder to accept.
Being a girl, it's really easy to shrug your shoulders and walk away.
We do that a lot I think.

Or at least, when the topic comes up, we talk about it.
Other than that, we don't seem that bothered.

I'm sorry though,
I am awfully bothered by this.
The fact that a fifteen year old boy was killed just because he was gay.
There are homophobes who are homophobes because they think the whole thing's unnatural or wrong or strange.
And then there are homophobes who are homophobes because they're afraid of themselves.

Would you like to know what happened?
Larry King was fifteen years old and in eighth grade. He was openly gay.
He was killed by a fellow eighth grader called Brandon.
He had asked Brandon to be his valentine and this homophobe got it into his head that he had to kill Larry.

This happened on February 12th this year.
I don't know what's happened to Brandon since. But you know, I hope he pays for it over and over and over again.



For the anal retentive: Go stick a carrot up your ass.

No comments: